Your help would be appreciated

Please check out my "Go Fund me" page and if you feel like helping out, that'd be pretty damn awesome. My thanks in advance and make sure you remember to check out my blog for the updates I'll be posting a long the way... Click here for Tad's "Go Fund me" page.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

So what's been happening....

So I’m sorry for the delay on these updates but luckily I wrote notes each time I talked to Tad. So this first post is more of a summary of the trip thus far. I'll update as we go from here on out. Disclaimer: I'm hoping that the time frames and details are
somewhat accurate, remember, I had a few days worth of notes stacking up, so my apologies to the bike gypsy if anything's out of order. :)

The first day he rode 14 miles to Stevenson County. He had to “stealth” camp behind the post office. Unfortunately couldn’t do a fire or anything but at least it was dry out and not too cold. I had to know what he had for his first breakfast on the journey and because he couldn't build a campfire, there was an egg mcmuffin involved. But hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Coffee too. Gotta have the coffee… Then Tad made his way to Orangeville. It had started to rain and it was super quiet except for a loud annoying tractor in the middle of the night. Supper: Chunky soup. Yum. So since he’s left Rockford his bike is showing travel distance of over a hundred and thirty miles!



He then went to Wisconsin and headed towards Debuque. Trying always to travel the best route. Work smarter not harder. Avoid hills. He really struggled with the third and fourth days. Almost gave up. I think he pushed too hard too soon and exhausted himself out. I think it was something that was probably going to happen at some point and did at the perfect time because even though he wanted to give up, he took the next day off and relaxed and recouped. Realized that he can’t push himself to the max if he’s going to complete the trip.



Last weekend he got to build his first campfire of the trip. Super exciting I thought. That’s like a milestone to his trip in my opinion. He hasn’t needed to use any walled electricity since he’s left. He’s been using the solar power charging unit that I got him. I think that’s super awesome. Also he was telling me about how he made friends with a biker gang and they gave him a sticker and everything. I think that’s so awesome! He’s been talking to people, people have been talking to him, seems like people are being super friendly. He even made friends with someone on the first night that he hung out with, smoked and just bs’d.



Now he's coming up on two weeks worth of travel time and he's now in his third state. Iowa. Good Iowa. Not Illinois or Wisconsin. Getting some states under his belt some miles ridden. He may have lost a hoody on the way but he's making tons of friends and getting his story out there and that's something amazing. Each person tells a friend who tells a friend who tells a friend. I've told the people I work with and they've been asking how he's been doing so I get to tell his story too. I just talked to him and gave him the weather for Dyresville, IA and where a Mcdonalds
was for when he wants to hop on some wi-fi and rest up before there's more riding into the sunset.


2 comments:

  1. Nice to chat with you at McDonalds. Have a safe trip. (stay out of St Louis)Pat&Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to hear your story from my co-workers and I was proud to buy you a hot breakfast and even prouder when I heard it was very appreciated thank you for stopping at McDonald's in Dyersville and sharing your journey with us

    ReplyDelete